Sunday, February 12, 2012

Who Do You See In the Mirror?

When you look in the mirror, who do you see? 
Most of the time, what we see is never good enough…or at least, that’s how I feel.  I always find myself wishing.   I wish that my hair was finer or that my teeth were whiter or that my waist was smaller – and the list goes on and on.  Then, I remind myself that the important things about me aren’t always reflected in the mirror.  Though cliché, one of my grandmother’s favorite sayings rings true – “Beauty is only skin deep.”
When you stop looking at the mirror and start looking through the mirror you’ll begin to evaluate your heart, your mind, your spirit and your soul.  This self-evaluation will allow you to understand who you are at your authentic core.  This understanding will lead to a sense of worth and confidence which inevitably will lead to a sense of self-acceptance.  Self-acceptance means that you are content and happy with the true you.   This doesn’t mean that we don’t need to work on flaws in our character, but it does mean that God placed different qualities in each of us to fulfill a very unique purpose in this life.  No one else can fulfill your purpose. 
Once you are able to accept yourself, you are able to love yourself.  You will begin to see the world differently.  The world and those in it will neither be your validation nor will they be your standard.  You will have an inner peace that is connected to your spiritual core.
Your new found self-love is what will attract others to you.  If you can master the art of loving yourself, you will not let anyone close to your heart that can’t do the same.  When you love yourself, you’ll wake up in the morning and speak positive confessions over your life.  Accordingly, if you are looking for a mate, you will expect the same from that person.  While loving yourself, you will treat your body with care.  Similarly, you will expect the same from a mate.  Though a tough pill to swallow – we must realize that ultimately, we teach others how to treat us.
Valentine’s Day is rapidly approaching and many of us will set aside time to celebrate love.  Don’t forget to take the time to celebrate your self-love.  Look beyond what you see in the mirror. 
Oh, and by the way, I’ve decided that I’m happy with my hair, my waist and everything else - - because, I am not my hair, I am not my waistline…I am my heart, my spirit, my mind and my soul. 
XOXO,
Love B. Loved

No comments:

Post a Comment