Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Choose Your Words Wisely

There is a time for everything – including a time to shut our mouths!  The more I grow, both naturally and spiritually, the more I mature.  Maturity continues to teach me both the power of words and the gift of silence. 
This week I witnessed an argument between a young man and woman whom I presume to have been in a relationship by their close proximities.  As the man started to speak, the woman cut him off telling him all of the things he would never amount to.  As I listened attentively while trying not to make eye contact, my heart saddened.   Not knowing the reason behind the argument, I did not allow myself to draw a biased conclusion on who was right and who was wrong.  Moreover, I meditated on the experience and asked myself – what was I suppose to learn and what could “the couple” have done differently?  Here’s what I came up with:
1)     Words are able to trigger ideas, thoughts, memories and feelings – all of which can be either good or bad depending on the intent of the person speaking.  Sometimes, as in the situation referenced above, the emotional reaction to the words has nothing to do with the matter at hand and everything to do with the triggered memories.
2)     It is very important to think before we speak because we will be held accountable for every idle word.  If we don’t have the gift of thinking “quick on our feet”, let’s practice taming our tongue.  Our delayed response is better than a response that kills hopes and dreams.
3)     The gift of silence would have been an awesome tool to use in this situation.  Suppose one of the individuals had been quiet.  What if one person just desired to be heard?  Could one of those individuals have been an active listener providing an accepting and non-threatening presence?  Could gentle silence have been a place where the burden could have been temporarily cast away until an appropriate time for discussion?
As you speak, know that your words are impactful.  For today and everyday choose your words wisely.

Your Friend,
Love B. Loved

1 comment:

  1. LOVE B LOVED,

    I will be the first to say at times I have been so guilty of using words to hurt and cut certain people down when in certain situations. As I have grown and have a family now, I try to be mindful of the impact all my actions and words have. I do believe that silence speaks volume!!! My mom use to say:

    "No one can argue if arguing by themselves"....

    ReplyDelete